Research has shown that regular access to short breaks can help carers continue to provide care for longer, offering time to themselves and the opportunity to recharge their batteries.
The Carers Support Fund is available to adult carers of adults (over 18s), registered with Carers Northumberland, and offers small grants to enable carers to take short breaks from their caring responsibilities. The amount received depends upon individual carer circumstances, and must be spent on the carer, but can be used in whatever way offers the best break.
Sample uses of the Fund;
- Gym and sports club membership
- Hobby equipment
- Visiting friends
- Nights out or trips away
- Creating a quiet space at home
How to apply
- Register with Carers Northumberland
- Complete the Carers Support Fund application form
- On receipt of the allocation notification, complete and return the Support Plan
- Spend your allocation
- Complete the evaluation form you receive after 6 months
- The Fund can be applied for once in a 12-month period.
There is a similar Fund for young carers aged 18 and under. The Young Carer Support Fund is also available once in a 12-month period and provides money for a break from carers’ responsibilities, whether you care for an adult or another child in your family.
The Carers Support Fund is administered by Carers Northumberland on behalf of Northumberland County Council and Northumberland Clinical Commissioning Group. Want to know more? Contact our information line on: 01670 320025 or firstname.lastname@example.org