You may be eligible to receive housing benefit if you pay rent and;

  • Your income and capital (savings and investments) are below a certain level
  • You are on Income Support, Job Seeker's Allowance, Employment Support Allowance
  • You receive Pension Credit

Contact Northumberland County Council’s Benefits section 0845 600 6400 and ask for a housing benefit claim form to be posted out to you.

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs)

DHPs are additional payments to help people with their rent. They may help for example if you have been affected by the under occupancy tax also know as the ’bedroom tax’.  You must be getting Housing Benefit (see above), to be able to receive a DHP. The Discretionary Housing Payments fund is cash limited and therefore cannot be awarded indefinitely.

For more help and information on the above please call the Carers Northumberland information line on

01670 320025.